Thursday, March 6, 2008

Carbs Again, Minor Cosmetics & Speedo Cable

I've been putting the miles on the bike and it's been great. I've done some minor housekeeping recently, though. It ran great, but I noticed that the #2 cylinder was weak at idle - pulling the plug wire had no effect on the engine's running, but it did smooth out under load and at high speed. I suspected there was some grit in the idle jet, so I pulled the carbs again and gave them a good going-through.

The idle jets seemed OK, but there was a hint of dirt in the offending cylinder. I put the carbs back together with some polished stainless screws. After putting them back on, the engine idles much better than before, so that seems to have cured the problem. I've yet to put many miles on it, but it ran very well in the driveway.

I also swapped over the GS1000 emblem on the right sidecover from my parts bike. It's not perfect, but at least I have two matching emblems now. Also, the speedo was a little "jumpy" at low speeds so I bought a new Motion Pro cable. It seems to have cured it.

And for a touch of "bling" I put some stainless allen bolts on the handlebar clamps.

No comments: