Sunday, April 20, 2008

Battery Box Refurb

The bike's been running great so that means it's time to go back and re-do a few minor details that didn't get finished to my satisfaction the first time around. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I like to make sure everything's done just right.

One of those things was the battery box. It's kind of buried in the center of the bike so I didn't mess with it when I was working on the electrical system. It was pretty rusty, though, and I was worried that the sheet metal would crack and dump my battery out onto the swingarm.

I also wanted an excuse to get one of those non-vented AGM batteries they have now, so I sold the old battery to my friend Dan and ripped out the box.

It was rusty but not all the way through - A quick soak in my favorite Phosphoric Acid solution removed the rust and left it ready for sanding and paint. My preferred rustoleum hard-hat did it's usual good job, and I threw it in the oven for an hour at 175 degrees to get it rock hard.

Back in the bike no-one can see it, but I know it's there.

No comments: