Monday, February 11, 2008

Finally Coming Together

With the petcock finished and the engine side covers polished, there isn't much left to do but ride this thing. I gave it a quick once-over, checked the air pressure and hit the road.

I visited a friend from the GS Resources to synchronize the carburetors. Thanks Ed! ON the road the new regulator works great - 13.8v at idle with the lights on, and a fully charged battery after 200 miles and sitting around all weekend.

With the carbs synced, the bike runs really well although I do notice the odd backfire and stumble. I may pull the carbs again soon to check them over, but only after I put some more miles on the bike to make sure it's not just "clearing it's throat". I'll also adjust the idle mixture screws a little too.

Other than that it's running perfectly. Being the perfectionist that I am, I might still play with a couple of small details. I don't have to, but I'd like to tweak the front suspension to perfection. I'm getting 65mm of front sag, which is about 30mm too many. And I'd like to maybe remove the passenger grab handle and plug the holes, but I haven't decided yet. In addition, the clutch cover seems to be oozing oil, but it's hard to tell because of the small amount.

No comments: