Friday, December 28, 2007

Front Forks

Lots of work happening on the beast while I've got some time off of work for the holidays.

The latest job to be finished was the forks. The chrome tubes were pitted with rust when I got the bike, and the rubber in the seals was old and hard, both consequences of the coastal location of it's slumber. A re-seal was definitely in the cards.

The old forks came apart pretty quick. Despite their pitted tubes and cracked dust seals, they actually held some air pressure from 27 years ago. Amazing. The oil was nasty with condensation and metal particles though.

I tried polishing the rusty fork tubes with 800 grit wet sandpaper, fine steel wool and chrome polish, but the left tube was too far gone. The right tube would work in a pinch - it had only one tiny pit that I filled with a drop of epoxy and sanded flat. I debated using epoxy to fill the numerous pits on the right tube, but I rejected the idea as too half-assed for me. I really like to do things the right way. So, despite the hit it would make to my budget, I sourced a replacement used tube on eBay. I ended up buying an entire fork set that had one good tube.

I bought some OEM fork seals and dust shields too. Not too expensive - less than $40 for the lot. And, since I can't resist improving things when I rebuild them, I also found a set of new Progressive fork springs to match the uprated rear shocks I've installed. I used 15w fork oil to replace the nasty stock stuff (in place of the recommended 10w20 engine oil) and give a little better damping.

The eBay forks come with an aftermarket fork brace (1980s Pro Circuit - I thought they only made dirt stuff?) which should do even more for the front end. The forks also had an air tube crossover kit, which needs a new fitting to work.

While the forks were off I disassembled the steerer tube and steering bearings. The tapered bearings on this bike are definitely over built, and 12,000 miles is nothing for them. New Bel-ray waterproof grease went back in, and I carefully adjusted them to eliminate any slop or unnecessary friction.

After thoroughly cleaning all the internal parts, I assembled the suspension on the bike and added fork oil to the stock level - 140mm from the top. I pumped it a few times and all was good. I then installed the front wheel and brake calipers and bled the brakes. A nice, hard lever was the result.

With it's improved suspension, new sticky tires, braided brake lines and modern brake pad compounds the GS1000 should handle and stop about as well as possible for a 30 year old beast of a bike. I might not be able to hang on the tail of the guys with modern 600s, but I'll sure be able to keep them guessing.

All that's left is cosmetics, and of course starting the engine for the first time in 27 years. I can't wait to get it back on the road!

No comments: