Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Few Modifications

I bought a couple of parts with the bike including a K&N drop-in filter and an aftermarket oil cooler (the progressive springs in the picture I installed when I rebuilt the forks). Since I just got it running, and it wasn't registered yet I figured I would install them now.

The cooler was was made by Derale, and was the same vintage as the bike. These air-cooled engines run really hot, so a cooler is always a good idea. It adds to the vintage "muscle bike" look and feel, too. Yeah, I know I could probably sell it for $100 on eBay but I like the idea of using parts that the original owner collected for this bike.

Most aftermarket coolers use an oil distribution block that replaces the oil pressure sender block on the back of the engine. The Derale cooler, on the other hand, came with a neat drill template used to drill and tap the stock sender block for a hose fitting. Maybe not as trick as the other solution, the drilled stock block seemed like a good idea and I decided to go ahead with it.

The return line for the Derale cooler is plumbed back to the oil filter housing drain bolt. This side was a piece of cake to hook up.

The cooler itself came with a simple flat bracket for mounting; I mounted it according to the instructions and it's not the most trick setup but it works.

I ran the lines along the outside of the motor since I was too lazy to pull the tank. The tank's going to have to come off for the valve adjustment and carb sync, so I will have another opportunity to do something about it later.

No comments: