Monday, November 12, 2007

Why GS1000?


Recently I thought it would be fun to find an old "big bike" to fix up and make look nice. Not really a 'restoration' per se, but more of a 'refresh'. I wanted to find something that was common enough to be easy to restore and inexpensive enough that I could afford to buy a fixer. Also something with style, and a little flash. Thousands of various so-called UJMs were made in the 70s and 80s, but 90% were ridden into the ground because they're so durable, especially out here in California.

I thought of SOHC CB750s, which are really popular right now, but they're just a little too lo-tech and common for me. The DOHC CB750 is a cool bike, too, but I don't see them for sale in fixable condition very often. Forget the Kawasaki Z900 and Z1000 - those are too in demand in Japan, where they're seen in somewhat the same nostalgic light as muscle cars are here in the states. Even a basket "zed" can run $1500 or more. Neat, but not really what I was looking for.

Of the remaining big bikes, Honda GL1000 Goldwings are cool, but most have terminal mileage and something about the shaft drive turns me off. Too old man, maybe. Skipping right over the forgettable (and ugly) Yamaha XS750 and 1100, the most likely candidate was the Suzuki GS750/1000.

So the search was on. My requirements:

- Cheap. I'm not a rich guy, and so it had to be inexpensive. I also know how expensive these projects can be, so it's important to start right and keep the budget low from the beginning. I assume the tires are going to be bad on an old bike, and probably the chain, tank, carbs, etc. About $400-500 before I can even start on the cosmetics. Also, I'm looking for a bike that only sells for $2500 in perfect condition, so there isn't much of a margin if I hope to come out ahead of just buying a good one.

- Complete. It's a serious PITA to track down parts for some of these bikes, so the more parts the better. Particularly trim (side panels, seat, etc.)

- Cosmetically pretty good, not perfect. I don't mind a little crust, dust and possibly rust. No massive dents. Original paint that could be salvaged would be nice, and good chrome too. Japanese chrome and polished alloy from the 1970s tends to go off pretty quick.

1 comment:

i wish i had a penguin friend said...

another project? You have too much free time or something?

:)

welcome to blogland!